Policies and Procedures


The Unit of Credit

The unit of credit is the semester credit.

Course Numbers

Lower-division courses are numbered 100-299. Upper-division courses are numbered 300-499.

Class Standing

The class in which a regular or conditional student is ranked at the beginning of the college year is based upon the following:

Class Standing
Standing Completed Credits
First-Year 0-27 credits
Sophomore 28-59 credits
Junior 60-89 credits
Senior 90+ credits

Grades and Transcripts

Grade Reports

Midterm and final grades are made available to students through Self-Service. No paper grade reports are distributed or mailed unless specifically requested by students. Copies of grades are sent to parents only if authorized by the student. Students having questions or needing assistance should contact the Registrar's Office. 

Transcripts of Record

Official transcripts of record are ordered through the Registrar's Office. Transcripts are released only when financial obligations to the College have been met. As stated on each transcript, federal law requires that release of such records be authorized personally by the student. No third party may legally have access to that record without the student's written consent. Official Transcripts can be requested via www.getmytranscript.org. Unofficial Transcripts can be viewed via Self-Service.

Repeating Courses

Upon notifying the Registrar and with the permission of the instructor, a student who has earned grades of C-, D, or F in a course may repeat the course for the purpose of mastery of the subject. All grades are entered on the student's permanent record, but only the last (most recent) grade is used in calculating the grade-point average. Only one enrollment is used in computing the total number of credits. Such repeated courses count in the calculation of the student's load for Veterans' benefits only if the original grade was F, or if a grade higher than C- is required for graduation. Students can not repeat a course in which they selected a Pass/Fail. 

If the repeated course is to be taken other than in residence at The College of Idaho, permission must be granted by the Vice President for Academic Affairs (or designee) in accordance with limitations on credit listed under Graduation Requirements.


Individuals or groups of students always have the privilege of petition. Academic petitions should be addressed to the Registrar. Other petitions should be directed to the appropriate administration officer. Academic petition forms can be obtained from the Registrar's Office. Petitions are reviewed bi-weekly through the academic term.

Only completed, timely petitions will be reviewed. A student's negligence regarding policies and deadlines stated in the Catalog or other official documents do not merit petition approval.


The following charts indicate the meaning of the grades assigned and the number of quality points given per credit for each grade. Students who fail to register or enroll officially are not assigned grades or given credit for a course.

Grades used in the grade point average calculation
Excellent Good Satisfactory Poor Failure
A 4.00 B+ 3.30 C+ 2.30 C- 1.70 F 0.00
A- 3.70 B 3.00 C 2.00 D+ 1.30    

  B- 2.70     D 1.00    

          D- 0.70    
Grades not used in the grade point average calculation
Passing (P) Incomplete (I) In-Progress (L) Withdrawal (W) Administrative Withdrawal (WA) Audit (AU)
Passing with credit given. May be elected by students in some instances under the Pass-Fail option. Incomplete - refer to Incomplete policy. Work in progress not expected to be completed in one term. Clear withdraw from course(s). Withdrawal initiated by Faculty or Administration. Audit of coursework.

Grade-Point Average

The grade-point average (GPA) is obtained by dividing the total number of quality points earned by the total number of credits attempted, except credits marked P, S, U, W, WA, and I, and other credits awarded which do not carry quality points. Credits with the grade of F are used in the calculation.

Dean's List

To receive Dean's List recognition, a student must complete at least nine or more graded credits (excluding grades of P and S) in a given semester and achieve a GPA of 3.75 or higher for that semester. Dean's List recognition is given only for the Fall and Spring semesters.

Academic Honors

The College of Idaho awards honors upon graduation to recognize outstanding academic achievements:

  • Cum Laude

    institutional grade-point average of 3.50 - 3.74

  • Magna Cum Laude

    Institutional grade-point average of 3.75 - 3.84

  • Summa Cum Laude

    institutional grade-point average of 3.85 - 4.00

Academic Reprieve

Students who have completed two consecutive full-time semesters at The College of Idaho with a grade-point average of at least 2.00 in each period may once, and only once, after consultation with and approval from their advisor, the Vice President for Academic Affairs, and the Registrar, eliminate one entire previous semester's, session's, or quarter's work from the computation of credits and grade points in their academic record. The eliminated work may have been attempted at any college or university. Nothing will be erased from the record, but the work in question will be bracketed to indicate that it is not being counted. None of the work undertaken in the session that the student chooses to eliminate may be counted toward any requirement for graduation. Students may repeat the eliminated courses only if they have not subsequently taken and passed courses to which the eliminated courses are prerequisites.

Grade Change Policy

Once a grade has been recorded in the Registrar’s Office it can be changed only if an error was made in assigning the original grade. An error refers to incorrect data entry, miscalculation, or failure to consider all coursework submitted before the grading deadline. Any coursework received after grades are posted or incomplete contract deadline cannot be considered for a grade change.


If a grading error was made, the instructor must notify the Registrar’s Office by submitting a Grade Change form no later than the end of the Semester following the grade submission. To protect records integrity, all grade changes must be submitted in writing and be signed and dated by the instructor.

For an error discovered more than one term after grade submission, the grade change must be approved by the Vice President of Academic Affairs and supported by documentation (e.g., grade books, papers, examinations) from the instructor or department chair. No changes will be permitted more than one year after the grade has been recorded.

A student who believes that a course grade was awarded that does not accurately reflect his or her performance must attempt to resolve the matter with the faculty member within the first six weeks of the next full academic semester (i.e., discussion of Fall or Winter grades must begin within the first six weeks of Spring semester, and Spring and Summer grades within the first six weeks of Fall semester).  If the student and faculty member are unable to reach a solution, then the student may request grade mediation.  Please see the Grade Mediation Policy in the catalog.

Grade Mediation Policy

If a student believes a course grade was improperly or unfairly assigned, the College has a grade mediation procedure to help resolve the matter. The evaluation of a student's academic performance is the sole responsibility of the person appointed to teach or supervise the course. A student who questions the validity of a faculty member's final evaluation of his or her academic work should confer with that faculty member within the first six weeks of the next full academic semester (i.e., discussion of Fall or Winter grades must begin within the first six weeks of Spring semester, and Spring grades within the first six weeks of Fall semester). If the matter cannot be resolved between the faculty member and the student, the student should seek the appropriate department or division chair or academic advisor to act as a mediator between the student and faculty member. However, the faculty member assigned to teach the course retains the final responsibility for assigning the course grade. After the final outcome, if the student and/or mediator feels that the faculty member in question has been unprofessional in resolving the matter, they should send a letter to the Vice President for Academic Affairs to be put in the file of the faculty member and considered by the Faculty Evaluation Committee as part of the regular evaluation process.

If the student writes a letter to the Vice President for Academic Affairs to be put in the file of the faculty member, a copy of the letter will be given by the VPAA to the faculty member and to the mediator, so that they may be informed of the comments. Either or both the faculty member and the person who served as mediator may write letters for the file as well.

The mediator will prepare a brief summary of the interaction with the student and its outcome and will give a copy of the summary to the student, the faculty member, and the Vice President for Academic Affairs. He or she will also retain a file copy. The file copy and the Vice President's summary will be retained through the subsequent evaluation period of the faculty member, in case it would need to be referred to for any reason.

If the faculty member whose grade is questioned is no longer employed by the College or is otherwise unavailable because of sabbatical leave or some other reason:

  • The student meets with the department chair of the faculty member's department (or, if the faculty member involved is the department chair, then the student meets with the division chair).
  • The department chair and the student's academic advisor help the student prepare a petition for review by a special committee appointed by the Vice President for Academic Affairs in consultation with Curriculum Council; the committee shall consist of one member from the faculty member's department or a closely aligned discipline, one faculty member from the division, and one faculty member from outside the division.
  • This special committee will review all available material and speak with people who may have insight into the situation and will come to some resolution that may include-but is not limited to-changing the grade(s) in question to Pass.
  • The timelines for beginning the grade mediation procedure are the same whether or not the faculty member continues at the College.
  • The decision of the special committee is final.

Academic Misconduct

The College of Idaho maintains that academic honesty and integrity are essential values in the educational process. Operating under an Honor Code philosophy, the College expects conduct rooted in honesty, integrity, and understanding, allowing members of a diverse student body to live together and interact and learn from one another in ways that protect both personal freedom and community standards. Violations of academic honesty are addressed primarily by the instructor and may be referred to the Student Judicial Board.


Academic dishonesty includes, but is not limited to, cheating on exams or assignments, plagiarism, ghost writing, buying or using a term paper, exam, or project that was not composed by the student turning it in, use of unauthorized notes or information during an exam, taking an exam for another student, collaboration on take-home exams when it has been forbidden, or furnishing false or misleading information on any official College form or the College website.


Plagiarism is the presentation of another's product, words, ideas, or data as one's own work. When a student submits work for credit that includes the product, words, ideas, or data of others, the source must be acknowledged by the use of complete, accurate, and specific references, such as footnotes. By placing one's name on work submitted for credit, the student certifies the originality of all work not otherwise identified by appropriate acknowledgments.

A student will be charged with plagiarism if there is not an acknowledgment of indebtedness. Acknowledgment must be made whenever

  • One quotes another person's actual words or replicates part of another's product;
  • One uses another person's ideas, opinions, work, data, or theories, even if they are completely paraphrased in one's own words;
  • One borrows facts, statistics, or other illustrative materials, unless the information is common knowledge (already published in at least three other sources without citation).


The burden of proof of student academic dishonesty or misconduct lies with the professor; the imposition of penalties is also the responsibility of the professor. Professors have the discretion to require that the student repeat the assignment or exam, or may give a failing grade for the assignment, exam, or course, or may otherwise deal with the academic dishonesty in a manner he or she determines to be appropriate within the context of their course. Before determining an appropriate disposition of the situation, the faculty member is encouraged to consult with the Vice President for Academic Affairs (VPAA) to see if there are other instances of academic dishonesty by the student on file in the Vice President's records.

In any instance, the student has the right to appeal the professor's accusation and penalty by invoking the Grade Mediation Policy. 

In the case of repeated or more serious violations of academic honesty, the professor or department chair may also recommend to the Dean of Students and the Vice President for Academic Affairs that the student be referred to the Student Judicial Board. The Student Judicial Board will hear the case, and will make a recommendation back to the Dean of Students and the VPAA about any further disciplinary action, including possible suspension or expulsion.  

Academic Standing - Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Students' progress according to SAP is measured at the end of every semester in order to determine academic and financial aid eligibility for future semesters. For a more detailed description of the College policy, please see the Financial Assistance webpage. In order to maintain SAP students must maintain the following:

  • Earn a 2.00 semester (term) grade-point average or higher for the most recent Fall or Spring semester
  • Earn a cumulative grade-point average of 2.00 or higher
  • Complete a minimum number of credits for each academic year (based on Federal Financial Aid completion rates)
  • Complete all degree requirements within a specified time-frame

Student Standings

Students' progress according to the SAP Standards is measured at the end of every semester in order to determine eligibility for future semesters. Students can be in one of following SAP status categories:

Dean's List

To receive "Dean's List" recognition, a student must complete at least nine or more graded credits (excluding grades of P and S) in a given semester and achieve a GPA of 3.75 or higher for that semester. "Dean's List" recognition is given only for the Fall and Spring semesters.

Good Status

Students are in good academic standing if they:

  • maintain a 2.00 semester and cumulative GPA;
  • complete the minimum number of credits for each academic year (based on Federal Financial Aid completion guidelines); and, 
  • complete all degree requirements within a specified time-frame.

Warning Status

Students not in good status for the first time will be placed on "Warning" and will receive a letter and/or an e-mail (to The College of Idaho e-mail account). A student may continue to receive financial assistance during the "Warning" period. Students on "Warning" are encouraged to work with their advisor and to use the counseling, tutoring, testing, and other services available on campus to assist them with improving their academic standing:

  • Be removed from "Warning" and placed in "Good" status if both the cumulative GPA and cumulative completion rate standards are met;


  • Be placed on "Suspension" and suspended from receiving financial assistance from federal, state, and institutional sources.

Incomplete Grades

The grade of I (Incomplete) may be assigned when a student has met all of the following conditions:

  • The student has attended class through the final withdrawal date in accordance with the course attendance policy. The last date of attendance should occur after the withdraw deadline.
  • The student has completed the majority of possible coursework at the point in time and are in good standing having earned C- or better.
  • When the instructor believes the student’s inability to complete the course is due to legitimate causes beyond the student’s reasonable control (such as an illness or traumatic event occurring after the final withdrawal date).

The instructor and student must submit an Incomplete Grade Contract to the Registrar’s Office before the last day of finals in the semester which the student is registered for the course. Final approval for the incomplete is at the discretion of the Registrar providing that the student meets the conditions listed above.

All work for the course must be completed and a final grade must be submitted to the Registrar by the Faculty Member by the end of the next semester (last day of finals) (Fall or Spring), or the grade of “F” will be recorded. Instructors may establish earlier deadlines.

By petition and with the permission of the instructor of record, the Registrar may extend the time for completion in cases of hardship on a case by case basis.

Pass-Fail Option

At any time before the posted last day to elect pass/fail or withdraw from a class, a student may elect to take a course on a Pass-Fail basis by filing a form with the Registrar. The choice is, as of the limiting dates noted, irrevocable. Students should refer to the Academic Calendar for specific dates each semester.


  • No more than one course per semester may be taken Pass-Fail.
  • No more than 18 credits of P may be counted toward graduation. (This does not apply to courses where P is the only mark given and the student has no option.)
  • Courses to be counted toward a major, minor, concentration, or a graduation requirement may not be taken Pass-Fail without written approval from department chair or minor supervisor.

Note: Since the grade of P indicates any assigned grade of D- or above, students should be aware that some post-graduate institutions may discount records with this grade.

In some programs, including some study -away programs only Pass-Fail grades may be recorded for earned credit. These courses, in which students have no option for letter grades, may be exempt from the limitations listed above. Students must request a waiver of limitation with the Registrar's Office at the time they file the application for overseas study. The student must also file an academic petition for the waiver.


Student Rights

In accordance with federal law, students are hereby notified that they have the following rights with respect to their education records: 

  • The right to inspect and review your education record within a reasonable time after the College receives a request for access. If you want to review your record, contact the Registrar's Office to make appropriate arrangements.
  • The right to request an amendment of your education record if you believe it is inaccurate or misleading. If you feel there is an error in your record, you should submit a statement to the Registrar, clearly identifying the part of the record you want changed and why you believe it is inaccurate or misleading. The Registrar will notify you of their decision and advise you regarding appropriate steps if you do not agree with the decision.
  • The right to consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in your education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with "legitimate educational interests." A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official has a "need to know" information from your education record in order to fulfill his or her official responsibilities. Examples of people who may have access, depending on their official duties, and only within the context of those duties, include: College faculty and staff, agents of the institution, students employed by the institution or who serve on official institutional committees, and representatives of agencies under contract with the College.
  • The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the College to comply with the requirements of FERPA. Release of student record information is generally not done at The College of Idaho without the expressed, written consent of the student. There are, however, some exceptions. 
    For example, directory information includes the following, and may be released without the student's consent: name, local address, home address, email address, local telephone number, home telephone number, major, status (including current enrollment, dates of attendance, full-time/part-time, withdrawn), honors received (e.g., Dean's List recognition), participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams. Please note that you have the right to withhold the release of directory information. To do so, you must complete a "Directory Hold" form, which is available from the Office of the Registrar. Please note two important details regarding placing a "No Release" on your record: 
    • The College receives many inquiries for directory information from a variety of sources outside the institution, including friends, parents, relatives, prospective employers, the news media and honor societies. Having a "No Release" on your record will preclude release of such information, even to those people.
    • A "No Release" applies to all elements of directory information on your record. The College of Idaho does not apply a "No Release" differentially to the various directory information data elements.

Directory Information

At its discretion, the College may provide directory information in accordance with the provisions of FERPA (the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) to include a student's name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, major field of study, dates of attendance, class standing, full or part-time status, degrees and awards received, photos, most recent previous educational agency or institution attended, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, and weight and height of members of varsity athletics teams. Students may withhold directory information by notifying the Registrar's Office and filling out the appropriate form. This request for non-disclosure will be honored until it is revoked. A request to withhold directory information will prevent the student's name and degree from being published on the Dean's Honor Roll and in the Commencement program. If non-directory information is required during an emergency, The College of Idaho may release that information if it deems that the information is necessary to protect the health or safety of the student or other individuals.

Students may allow the release of academic and/or financial information to designated individuals by completing the Information Release form that can be obtained in the Registrar's Office.