Transfer Students

Students who have already completed at least 28 semester credits or 42 quarter credits of continuous enrollment at regionally accredited colleges or universities will be considered for admission on the basis of that academic record (rather than their secondary school record) provided they have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better. Students who have completed fewer than 28 semester or 42 quarter credits should apply as first-year applicants, but may be granted advanced credit for that work.

Transfer applicants should submit an application for admission and official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended, just as first-year students do. An essay and recommendation letter are required, and may be waived at the discretion of the Office of Admission. The transfer application deadline is August 1. Any applications submitted after this date will be considered by petition only.

Community (Junior) College Credit

A maximum of 70 semester credits or 106 quarter credits of approved community college credit may be transferred to The College of Idaho to be counted toward the 124 credits required for graduation (see senior residence requirement). Only lower-division credit will be allowed for community college work. Please see Transfer Credit Policy for specific course and grade acceptance.

College Transcripts

Students are required to include in their applications for admission official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended. Official final transcripts for high school and college course work are required prior to attending classes. Financial assistance, both in the form of merit and need-based aid from the College, are dependent upon academic performance and dependent on the receipt of transcripts. Any discrepancies in final transcripts and those presented at the time of admission will be reviewed by the Vice President for Enrollment Management and could result in changes in financial assistance, and/or violations of the honor code.

Credits earned at regionally accredited colleges or universities will be evaluated by the Registrar's Office, and credit will be given in accordance with college policy only after a student has been accepted. In general, credit will be accepted for courses that are comparable to courses in the College curriculum. Credits earned at non-accredited colleges may be accepted as a basis for advanced standing in accordance with the recommendations of the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers, but only upon satisfactory completion of at least 30 credits in residence at the College.

Transfer Credit Policy

Transfer Courses/Credits Accepted for Transfer

The following policies guide The College of Idaho’s decisions as to whether transfer courses or credits are accepted for transfer:

  1. Courses must have been taken at a regionally accredited college/university in the United States.  Coursework from foreign institutions must be evaluated by World Education Services ( or a similar organization.
  2. All transfer course credits will be converted to semester credits.
  3. Approved courses that are passed with grades “A” through “D-“, plus “P” or “S” grades, will be accepted for transfer to the C of I, but only applicable courses graded C or higher will be used to satisfy Major and Minor requirements. 
  4. Outdated Transfer Coursework: “Acceptable” transfer courses that are more than five years old at the time of admission to C of I, at the discretion of the College, may be excluded from consideration in meeting major or minor requirements regardless of grade earned.