Student Standings

Students' progress according to the SAP Standards is measured at the end of every semester in order to determine eligibility for future semesters. Students can be in one of following SAP status categories:

Dean's List

To receive “Dean's List” recognition, a student must complete at least nine or more graded credits (excluding grades of P and S) in a given semester and achieve a GPA of 3.75 or higher for that semester. “Dean's List” recognition is given only for the Fall and Spring semesters.

Good Status

Students who are meeting all of the Standards of SAP and are not in a period of “Warning,” “Suspension,” or “Probation” are in “Good” standing and no additional enrollment, advising, or “Academic Plan” requirements are specified.

Suspension Status

Students who do not meet both standards (Qualitative and Quantitative) are no longer eligible for financial aid. Students will receive a letter informing them of their "Suspension." Classes can be taken (using their own funding) and students can raise their cumulative GPA and completion rate to meet the above standards to be reviewed for SAP. Students who are placed on "Suspension" may petition if there are extenuating circumstances that led to academic difficulties (see petition process below).

Probation / Academic Plan

A student on "Probation" may receive federal, state, and institutional aid for one semester pending evaluation.

  • Students who have been placed on "Probation" and are attending their program under an approved academic plan remain eligible for aid as long as they continue to meet the conditions of that plan.

Petition Process

Students who are placed on "Suspension" may petition if there are extenuating circumstances that led to academic difficulties. A student may petition (with supporting documentation) in these situations:

  • Extenuating circumstances: situations over which the student has no control and may include death in the student's immediate family, hospitalization, accidents, and illness. Supporting documentation is required.
  • "Suspension" resulting from a grade of "Incomplete (I)" or missing grades.

The following must be included with the petition:

  • Why the student failed to meet satisfactory progress
  • What has changed in the student's situation that will allow the student to demonstrate satisfactory progress at the next evaluation
  • A written academic plan with advisor signature.

The Financial Aid and Academic Standing Committee will:

  • Review the petition and current academic performance,
  • Convey in writing to the student the approval or disapproval of the petition.
  • If the petition is approved, the student will be placed on "Probation" for the next semester.
  • If the petition is approved and the student does not meet the requirements of the approval as outlined in the approval document, the student will be automatically placed on "Suspension."

Students who have been "Suspended" and choose not to petition, or who miss the petition's deadline, or whose petition is denied may be considered for re-admission upon presenting evidence of ability to do satisfactory college work. Normally, the expectation is that the student will complete at least 12 credits at another regionally accredited college or university with no grade below a C. Students who have been dismissed and do not appeal may not enroll in any classes at The College of Idaho unless they have permission from the Financial Aid and Academic Standings Committee.

A student may submit a maximum of 2 petitions during their time of study at The College of Idaho.


The policy does not preclude a student from enrolling in subsequent semesters. Students can raise their GPA and/or satisfy credit deficiencies by taking additional course work at The College of Idaho without receiving financial aid or by transferring in credits from another institution. Students who have lost eligibility for financial aid will not regain eligibility simply by paying for his or her classes for a semester or by sitting out a semester. Students may have their financial aid reinstated once all SAP standards (both qualitative and quantitative) are met. Students can also submit a copy of their College of Idaho transcript and a petition form to verify grade changes, including removal of Incompletes, if this will result in the student meeting the requirements of SAP for financial assistance.

Return to Title IV Funds (R2T4)

Repayment of Unearned Financial Aid

  • Students should understand that if they are enrolled beyond the census date in any semester in which they receive financial aid and then withdraw (officially or unofficially) or otherwise do not complete the full length of the semester, repayment of a portion of the financial aid received for that semester may be required.
  • If a student enrolls but does not attend classes, he/she will need to repay all financial aid. Students who do not attend classes have not established eligibility for the financial aid received, and all financial aid must be repaid within 30 days.
  • Students agree that if they withdraw or otherwise cease attendance up through and including the 60 percent point of a semester, they may owe a repayment of a portion of the financial aid received and agree to pay back any and all amounts due to either C of I or the U.S. Department of Education.

Please note: If (as determined by classroom instructors) a student attends beyond the 60 percent point of a semester, that student is considered to have earned 100% of the aid received for the semester.

These procedures apply to all financial aid recipients. Financial aid is awarded and disbursed to students in anticipation of students' successful completion of their courses and progression toward graduation. The U.S. Department of Education regulates the management of Title IV funds and, in some cases, a student who receives Title IV financial aid but does not complete their coursework is not considered to have "earned" the Title IV aid they received.

When a student officially withdraws from all of their courses, audits all of their courses, receives unsatisfactory grades in all of their courses, or otherwise fails to attend the full period of enrollment, C of I is required to determine the earned and unearned portions of Title IV aid the student was scheduled to receive.

The earned and unearned portions of Title IV aid are determined as of the date a student ceased attendance, based on the amount of time the student spent in attendance. Up through the 60% point in each period of enrollment, a prorated schedule is used to determine the amount of Title IV funds the student has earned at the time of withdrawal.

After the 60% point in the period of enrollment, a student has earned 100% of the Title IV funds he or she was scheduled to receive during the period.

For a student who officially withdraws at any time through the 60% point of a period of enrollment, the official withdrawal date is the earlier of:

  • the date the student begins the official withdrawal process (submits a signed complete withdrawal form);
  • the date the student otherwise provides official notification of intent to withdraw.

For a student who fails to officially withdraw (does not complete the official withdrawal process but receives unsatisfactory grades in all their courses):

  • for a student who unofficially withdraws due to circumstances beyond their control, the date C of I determines is related to the circumstance that was beyond the student's control.
  • for all other students who unofficially withdraw, the midpoint of the enrollment period or the last date the student participated in an academically related activity will be counted as the last date of attendance(as reported by his/her instructors), whichever is later.

When a student is determined to have withdrawn, either officially or unofficially, C of I will use federal law/regulation to make the following determinations and complete the following activities:

  • Determine the amount of the student's institutional charges.
  • Determine the Title IV aid disbursed to the student.
  • Determine the Title IV aid that could have been disbursed to the student (if any).
  • Determine the student's official withdrawal date.
  • Calculate the amount of the student's earned and unearned Title IV aid.
  • Calculate the amount of Title IV aid the College must return.
  • Calculate the amount of Title IV aid the Student must return.
  • Notify the student of the determinations and calculated values used in the R2T4 calculation
  • Notify the student of the resulting balance owed to the College and/or the U.S. Department of Education.

The following list is of financial aid programs, Title IV, to which the Return of Title IV funds requirement applies. The financial aid programs are listed in order that the school must return per the federal formula:

  1. Unsubsidized Direct Loans
  2. Subsidized Direct Loans
  3. Parent PLUS Loans
  4. Pell Grant
  5. Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
  6. Iraq/Afghanistan Service Grant

Amounts required to be returned to the U.S. Department of Education by C of I become debts immediately due and payable to C of I upon completion of the R2T4 calculation and will be billed to the student. The student MUST make prompt payment or payment arrangements to satisfy the debt owed to C of I and C of I reserves the right to refer the debt to a collection agency for servicing. Amounts returned by C of I to the U.S. Department of Education on the student's behalf and owed to C of I must be paid directly to Business Office. Do not send payments to any other department or agency.

Exit Counseling

Exit Counseling is a mandatory information session which takes place when a student graduates or attend school less than half-time; the session explains loan repayment responsibilities and when repayment begins. If the student borrowed for federal loans, unlike grants and work-study, this constitutes borrowed money that must be repaid, with interest, just like car loans and home mortgages. Students cannot have these loans canceled because they didn't like the education received, didn't get a job in their field of study, or because they are having financial difficulty. Loans are legal obligations that students must repay.

Exit Counseling:

  • Is required before a student withdraws, graduates, or drops below half-time attendance (even if one plans to transfer to another school)
  • Helps the student understand rights and responsibilities as a student loan borrower
  • Provides useful tips and information to help the student manage loans

These procedures as well as the federal regulations they are based on are subject to change without advance notice.